After graduating law school, Jim began practicing law with the Dayton law firm Iddings, Jeffrey and Donnelly, now known as Rogers & Greenberg LLP. In 1973, he became the Law Director for the City of Springfield and remained in that position until 1982 when he became a partner at Schwer, Taggart, Wehler, Emerich, Winks & Peifer, later known as Emerich and Peifer. Jim joined Cole Acton Harmon Dunn as Of Counsel in April, 2018.
During the course of his practice, Jim has assisted in numerous real estate and community development transactions throughout Springfield and Clark County, including the core block of downtown Springfield, the development of Bechtle Avenue, the Prime Ohio and Prime Ohio II business parks, the development of both the Forge and Village at Dunloe Condominiums, and commercial development projects for the Community Improvement Corporation of Springfield and Clark County and the West Central Ohio Port Authority. In his capacity as Law Director, Jim was one of the first attorneys in Ohio to implement tax incremental financing for economic development projects, including development of the Credit Life Building, now downtown home of Clark State Community College located at 100 South Limestone Street in Springfield, and also the former Credit Life Building located at 1 South Limestone Street, Springfield. Jim also while Law Director did the legal work for the City of Springfield on the Core Block in downtown Springfield. In addition, he has provided legal services for several medical practices in Springfield.
Jim currently practices in the areas of corporate and contract law, municipal and government law, commercial real estate transactions, annexations and zoning, professional corporations, estate administration and estate planning.
Outside of the office, Jim serves and has served as a member of the board of directors for several local organizations, including the Community Health Foundation. During his free time, Jim and his wife, Sandy, enjoy partaking in sports and fitness activities, including golf and tennis, reading, and traveling to see their children, Robin and Kevin, and their grandchildren, who all reside in the Chicago area
- B.A., Wittenberg University, 1968
- J.D., University of Illinois, 1972
Professional Memberships and Activities:
- Member, Clark County Bar Association
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Ohio State Bar Foundation
- Past Member, Ohio State Bar Association Council of Delegates (1986-2010)(2004-2008)
- Past Member, Ohio State Bar Association Board of Governors (1999-2003)
- Past Member, American Bar Association
- Past Member, First American Title Company
- Past Member, Ohio Land Title Association
- Past Member, Past Chairman, Board of Directors of the Community Improvement Corporation of Springfield and Clark County
- Past Chairman, Board of Directors of the Greater Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Past Chairman, Board of Directors of the Community Health Foundation
- Past President, Springfield Country Club
- Member, Rotary Club of Springfield, Ohio